A good dose of friendly gut bacteria to set you up for the day. Happy Gut – Happy Me!
I always have milk kefir, cultured butter, Greek fermented yoghurt and fermented berries at hand in my fridge so it makes this delicious breakfast a breeze to make.
Cultured Butter Infused with Vanilla.
Ferment a litre of cream as you would for Milk Kefir. When ready, place in a jar with plenty of space. Close the lid tightly and shake (about 45 minutes) until it separates into a solid mass of butter and whey. Pour off the whey and rinse the butter under cold water. Add salt to taste and a few drops of vanilla essence. Refrigerate until you are ready to use it.
Make a jar of Greek Fermented Yoghurt the night before
Honey Fermented Berries – made two months ago and stored in the fridge.
Click here for the recipe.
500ml Flour. Try using stone ground unbleached sifted flour if possible.
1 ½ tbsp. cultured butter melted
4 tsp baking powder
1/3 tsp salt
250ml Milk Kefir
- Beat the eggs and honey
- Add half of the Milk Kefir and the melted cultured butter to the egg mixture and stir well
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together and add to the egg mixture
- Gradually stir in the remaining milk to form a smooth mixture
- Drop spoonfuls of the batter into a lightly greased heavy bottom frying pan
- Turn once the top is full of air bubbles and cook o the other side till golden.
The batter can be placed in the fridge and will last a good few days if you don’t want to make all of the crumpets in one go.
Make a stack of crumpets with yoghurt, berries and a drizzle of vanilla butter between each crumpet. I sprinkled a mixture of sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and linseeds over the top for a good dose of omega.
Moreish and delicious!